We all grade ourselves by different measures:
- For some people, it’s as simple as how much money they make. When their net worth is going up, they know they’re doing well.
- For others, it’s how much money they give.
- For some people, it’s how many people’s lives they can influence for the better.
- For others, it’s how deeply they can influence just a few people’s lives.
– from pg 30 of “Anything You Want” by Derek Silvers, Founder of CD Baby
Tag: Derek Silvers
Do you have enough?
One of the strongest statements I came across while making my doc, Beyond The Drive, was that “Ambition is a state of feeling perpetually flawed”. It struck a chord so deep inside me, that it stuck instantly. It’s a constant struggle, isn’t it? The never-ending strife for more. More money. More recognition. More rewards.
When CD Baby founder Derek Silvers decided to give his company away to charity, it sparked a whole wave of questions. Why did he do it?
So with this enlightening explanation, he introduced a whole new perspective to the issue.
Two friends were at a party held at the mansion of a billionaire. One said, “Wow! Look at this place! This guy has everything!” The other said, “Yes, but I have something he’ll never have: enough.”
Not only did he open my eyes to the brilliant idea of putting money into a Charitable Trust, he’s also taught me to question myself from time to time… Do I have enough?